G’day chums how are we all today?
This week has been pretty good. The weather has been cold and wintery – my fave – and Mr Roast Chicken has had a rare few days off so it’s All Been Good. It’s also FLOWN by, and it doesn’t seem long since I was last scribbling here.
Here were the best bits:
1. Sorting out the garden. Now that I am 89 I’m often pottering around the garden sprucing things up. My skills are fairly non existent, except planting bulbs, pruning and mowing the lawn. That’s gardening, right? The other day I cleared a huge load of bracken that was covering up the lovely little snowdrops that are just starting to peek through the soil – I LOVE seeing these babies wake up after winter. There’s nothing more cheering than seeing their little green shoots poke up after their long year’s rest. I also swept up a load of leaves that have been carpeting (and no doubt, ruining) the lawn for months. It was very satisfying and our garden looks lovely as a result considering it’s winter and everything is dead.
2. This WEATHER! Aint it luvly? Maybe a tad on the cold side, but beggars can’t be choosers up here in the Bleak North of England, and I’d have a frosty blue sky rather than a warm overcast haze any day! The wind’s been whipping things up though – look at the lake. Actual WAVES!
3. Guacamole. Need I say more? Mine is here, a good dollop of the clay-textured green fruit with plenty of garlic and lime. DELICIOUS. And if you’re interested in a bit more of the olde Mexican fodder, here’s my Black Bean and Sweetcorn Tortillas, Veggie Chilli Nachos and Mexican Salad with Chilli Lime Dressing 🙂
4. A long drive with Mr Roast Chicken. My driving instructor once said that everyone came to him with their problems. He alikened his little car to a priest’s confessional box; a place where people felt safe and secure, and thus shared their secrets. I’ve lost count of the times I’ve made good friends on car journeys. I’ve had many a deep and meaningful chat with friends in the car, and got to know most of my colleagues on long journeys for work. So last weekend we enjoyed each other’s company as we wound our way through the lakes, chatting the miles away.
5. Looking forward to holidays. Sometimes I think the anticipation is better than the event. Well, not better, but as good as. I think it’s Mr Knightly who said that he didn’t approve of surprises due to them being inconvenient and the surprise not heightening the pleasure on receipt. This is why I like to plan. You get the happy anticipation AND the event itself. So in a few weeks we’re off to Scotland for our favourite type of holiday; renting a little cottage somewhere peaceful. And I Can’t Wait.
6. Pajama bottoms which are long enough. Is this just me? I’m not short, but I don’t have particularly long legs. Why are pajama bottoms always too short? They’re too short to start with, then they get shorter in the wash. Why? Why is this please? I got a pair for Christmas which have LONG legs and they’re making me Very Happy Indeed.
7. The news that Virgin Trains won’t be offering The Daily Mail. That’s just cool isn’t it?!
8. An evening shower, followed by snuggling into the cosiest pajamas and the softest fluffiest dressing gown. With some light classical music in the background and probably a nice chilled glass of white. Heaven.