Happy Wonderful Wednesday one and all!
How are you today? Hope noone’s succumbed to the January blues yet? Here’s what’s made me smile over the last few days:
1. The crisp icy weather at this time of year. I can usually find something to enjoy with most seasons, but these icy cold January mornings are pretty high up there. When the air is so icy you breathe water onto the inside of your scarf, and your hands get cold even wrapped up in the toughest of leather gloves. It’s at this time of year that I really relish being outside, as the hours of daylight are fewer and so each moment of having that sun on your face becomes more precious. I love looking at the frost-coated bracken, covering the ground rather than swaying up in thick sprightly bunches. The little signs of life you do see amongst the birds and the berries are all the more welcome, and there’s always tons of ice to crash though.
2. On a winter walk this week I stood watching some children play. What it is to be so engrossed in each moment, with no thought to planning the next activity. To enjoy the senses fully – listening to ice shatter; feel the soft give of mud as wellies sink in; stare into the sun’s rays and feel momentary blindness. Plenty of time for dawdling; being without pressure or hurry. I’m not sure watching them made me happy. More, it made me realise what I no longer have. But I hope I can try and recapture that sense of presence in my life now – that would be pretty wonderful 🙂
3. Standing by water is always a source of solace for me. The water was quite choppy by the side of the lake the other day, creating waves for the swans to bob over. Hardy creatures, swans. Snowflakes were gently falling on this icy day, but the swans carried along determinedly, feathers ruffling in the breeze.
4. Hot cross buns. Sometimes I just get a real craving for a hot cross bun. It has to be the luxury ones with extra fruit and a thick glaze. Baked in the oven for a few minutes, opened up and slathered with salty butter, they always go down a treat. And I always need more than one.
5. The older I get the more I can work out what makes me happy. I wish I was more aware of this in my 20s. I know now that I’m only really happy when I’ve had my outdoor fix. Bit like a dog – I need my walkies. I can’t remember ever going for a walk and not coming back happier and more at peace, but somehow I’ve only just begun to recognise this in myself, and act on it. This weekend was spent mostly outdoors and I was soooo much happier for it. I don’t think it’s just the exercise – or even just the fact that I was outside. There’s something about pottering along for an hour or so, looking around as the scenery changes minute by minute that really makes me feel more me.
6. Thorntons Viennese truffles. That’s all I really need to say isn’t it? But if you want a bit more – it’s the TEXTURE isn’t it? The slight crunch as the outer casing breaks open. That light frothy filling. May have eaten the whole bag in one sitting.
7. When you come back from a walk and feel all hungry and cold. And you have a nice plain meal – say cheese on toast, soup, scrambled eggs – you know? And follow it with the aforementioned hot cross buns. That makes me very happy 🙂
8. Cooking up a storm. It’s no secret that I love my planning. And I love my cooking. When the two are combined the freezer is filled with soups and one pot meals to keep us going through the busy week days when I walk home from work and can’t wait to get my gnashers round something tasty without having to wait too long. This weekend I made 8 – yup – 8 portions of spaghetti bolognese. All stashed away and boy do I feel smug 🙂
9. 24. How did I forget that I haven’t yet seen Season 8? I thought I’d caught up with each one when to my joy on a staying-at-home-with-a-glass-of-sauvignon-Saturday-night I realised I HADN’T SEEN IT! 3 hours flashed by and before I knew it I had tick-tocked myself way past my bedtime. Even though I kind of know what’s going to happen.Jack’s still got it.
That’s it me hearties! Hope you’ve enjoyed reading and hope you have lovely weeks! For more singin the praises of the little and the seemingly insignificant jump straight to Sally, Michelle, Kate, Helen, Jo, Cat, Emma, Laura, Lynsey, Kerri, Sarah, El, Jasmin, Debbie and Mimmi for more #wonderfulwednesday happiness 🙂