Happy mid-week to you all, hope you’re having healthy, happy weeks so far. Here’s what’s been making my work rock lately:
1. Gingerbeer with a dash of lime. The full monty includes a dash of whisky too, but it’s too strong for me – I’m like a kid with their first sip of alcohol when I have whisky – it’s just too much! Me and Mr Roast Chicken enjoyed a whole family bag of sea salt Lancashire crisps to ourselves last Saturday night, which we scoffed while sipping spicy ginger beer and lime in a room lit only by candles and fairy lights.
2. It was a bit naughty, but as well as the family bag of crisps at the weekend, we also got through a rather large box of truffles. Naughty both because I suppose chocolate shouldn’t really be lunch, and because it was a christmas present we couldn’t resist tucking into. They were good though, lashings of real cream in them 🙂
3. A whole hour and a half of yoga, in a warm room, with a lovely instructor, just round the corner from where I live. When I left work I was so wound up with all those silly things that seem so important in the heat of the moment, and so nonsensical a few hours later. I was power-walking up the hill towards my house in order to rid myself of some of the stress that had built up during the day. Subsequently I arrived at the yoga class rather flustered, but that vanished within minutes as the teacher calmly lit candles and placed them around the edges of the studio, took the clock from the wall and put it in another room, before we had a good, long stretch out. It was bliss.
4. Watching the little birdies peck at the feed I bought for them. In fact – they’re pecking a little too much, as it’s going down really quickly – I think I bought luxury feed that they’re LOVING! It’s a real sign that winter’s nearly here, with the birds hopping and picking, the grass now a little too firm for pulling up worms.
5. A spot of Christmas music at work. I think you feel more festive around other people. We’ve got a little jolly in the office lately, fairy lights and Christmas classics surrounding us. Needless to say work’s taken a little bit of a back seat, but after the last few weeks – I think that’s just as well.
6. Hearing carols in a church. Beautiful to listen to in their own right, and a church is both spiritually and acoustically the perfect environment. Added to this hotpot of loveliness is the sense of nostalgia they invoke. Singing along to Hark The Herald Angels at the weekend brought me right back to sitting on my primary school floor, with an orange paper booklet of carols with big illustrations. I can still smell the floor polish and rubber pumps.
7. Christmas pudding Nakd bars. So I’ve been munching my way through the different varieties of Nakd bar and can confirm these to be the best yet. Didn’t like the carrot cake ones at ALL although they looked and sounded promising. These however… They’re like supercharged raisins, moulded together with the most Christmasy of spices.