Hello everyone! How have you all been this last week? It’s a funny time of year I think. The weather’s turning (up here at least) and it’s not quite time to start thinking about Christmas, but Autumn in all its leafy glory is starting to fade as the storms blow the leaves away. Here’s what’s made me happy this week:
1. The autumn leaves. While they last I’m going to make the most of them. And I know every man and his dog talks about their love for autumn leaves on the internet – but that’s really because, well – they’re just gorgeous aren’t they? High in the trees with the sunlight glinting through them or piled up underneath for me to kick through in my very favourite pair of tan leather knee high boots. We’ve been lucky this year as we’re halfway into November yet the leaves are still going strong, cheery big drapes of colour to put a smile on my face and make me thankful that I noticed them amongst my little whirlwind of every day first-world-nonsense whizzing round my head.
2. Having a weekend of no plans. I think I’ve said this before. In fact I’m sure I must have – I do SO love a weekend were the only plans are to wash my hair, paint my nails and read a good yarn in the bath. Pottering with no plan is such a luxury. I know many people have such busy lives that simply don’t allow for this, and I try to be really grateful for every little moment I get of ‘me’ time.
3. Home spa time. Bath oil in the tub, coconut oil in the hair whilst reclining with a book, washing, conditioning, scrubbing, moisturising, massaging and taking time for a good blow dry made me very very happy on Saturday morning. As I said, total luxury, and I made the most of it.
4. Eating LOADS of veggies. It’s so true that you are what you eat. I feel so full of beans (literally) after dropping meat for a few days and eating lentils and BEANS to get my protein fix instead. I kind-of countered this goodness by pouring myself two large glasses of rosé on Friday night, but all in all it was nice to have a little break. Not for too long though – we also had a lovely pork casserole and I’ve popped Coq Au Vin on my meal plan for this week – it’s all about the balance 🙂
5. Coming home after a walk and having a good nosh of cold hams, cheese and salad at my mum’s. So nice to be cooked for (and cleared up for afterwards)! And lovely, as always, to get out of the house and tramp through a wood, smelling the sodden leaves and listening to the birds.
6. It seems a lot of my happy things this week are food related, but something that made me very happy was making a HUGE batch of vegetable soup to last the week. I popped onions, carrots, parsnips, swede, potatoes and a spot of spinach into a big pan and just steamed them in butter and a little water until they were soft, then added a couple of litres of vegetable stock. Warming lunches full of LOADS of vitamins are ours 🙂
7. Laughing with colleagues. Wherever I’ve worked, it’s been the people who’ve made it. There have been financial problems, health problems, board troubles (always) and failed and frustrated projects, but it’s always been the people in the thick of it who have come together to come out on top. I’ve been really lucky really – I’ve almost always worked at places where the team spirit has been good, but where I currently work, it’s pretty near incredible. I laugh every day, could and often do sit down for a drink with each and every one of my colleagues, and feel like I really am part of one big, dysfunctional family. And I can’t get enough.
What’s made you smile this week? What’s made the daily grind a little funnier, a little more lighthearted? If you’re really feeling the Wonderful Wednesday love, hop skip and jump over to the blogs belonging to the FABULOUS Sally, Michelle, Sarah, Kate, Cat, Sam, El , Kerri, Mimmi, Martina Jo and Isabelle.