I must apologise for the blurry photo. I was STARVING and pasta gets cold really quickly! I whipped this up really speedily when I found I had 2 sausages spare. I always have two sausages spare – since there’s two of us, sausages come in packets of 6 and we have two each, it happens Every Time. I wonder if they do that on purpose.
And being the frugal minded kind of gal that I am – I obviously wanted a way to make them stretch further than a sausage bap in the morning. Bulking it out with onions and a tin of chopped tomatoes seemed like a good idea – and then I threw in a few balls of frozen spinach to up the vegetable content. The bitter spinach goes really well with the salty sausages – and makes this a really good all-rounder for a busy weeknight supper.
Sausage, Tomato and Spinach Pasta
the meat from 2 sausages (just split the skin and squidge out the meat)
splash olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon rosemary
about 6 balls of frozen spinach
1. Fry the sausage meat in the olive oil, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as you go.
2. Add the onion and cook for around 10 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes and herbs and simmer on a low heat for 20 minutes, adding the spinach for the last 5 minutes.
4. Half way through the tomato cooking time, boil up the pasta.
5. Drain the pasta and mix with the sauce. Eat greedily 🙂