Happy Wonderful Wednesday one and all! How have your weeks been? Mine was surprisingly lovely jubly since I was back at work having been off for a week. I remembered how much I love my colleagues, and my job really, I suppose… 🙂 And my weekend was packed to the brim with lovely things, including lots of being outside in the freezing bright sunshine and getting some air into my lungs.
Looking forward to reading what’s made you all happy this week, I’ve been loving this little exercise in gratefulness. Here’s what I’ve been thankful for recently:
1. Flowers. I always find something nice to look at outside, whether its summer lusciousness in full swing or orange autumnal leaves. There’s never really a month where there’s not something pretty catching my eye as I walk past. But now, having had a pretty warm, but wet and windy and grey winter so far, it’s nice to see some flashes of colour under the trees. I’m so so glad I planted crocuses and daffodils when we moved into this house last summer, but it’s also been a nice surprise to see that the garden is also jam packed with gorgeous clumps of snowdrops too, planted by the previous owners.
2. A freezing cold tramp along the farmers’ lanes on Saturday morning. I woke up not quite right. I had a lovely cup of tea, some relaxing music playing and a great book, but I just couldn’t settle. I was restless and nervy, so I chucked on some old jeans and headed up over the hill, annoyed that I was wasting my weekend. As the hills opened out and I heard the sheep calling to each other, I took a deep breath of country air and started to feel so much better. By the time I got home I was Back In The Weekend Zone 🙂
3. Discovering some new teas. I’ve been a camomile tea girl for years now. After I started getting the shakes drinking a whole cafetiere of coffee each morning at uni, I switched to camomile. I still have two strong cups of PG tips in the morning, or sometimes some DELICIOUS darjeeling tea we picked up on holiday over christmas, but after that its camomile all the way, or maybe a little mint, after dinner. I picked up this camomile and honey tea on a whim this week, and it’s perfect for a little sit down at the end of the day. It also kind of tastes and smells sweet – so it’s a little bit like you’ve had a sweet treat. Just a little.
4. Finding a new place for my lunchtime strolls. I’ve spoken about this before, but I’m LOVING my lunchtime walks at the moment, especially this week when it’s been so crisp and sunny (except as I’m writing this on Tuesday when it has been FOWL). Such a good way to squeeze in a bit of exercise, and keeps stress at bay. But my usual route was getting a bit samey, so I ventured elsewhere and found these huge reeds by the side of the river reaching up high. Cool eh?
5. Planning. Maybe it’s all these new flowers popping up all about me, but I’m in planning mode, especially in my little garden. I’ve always wanted to grow my own veg, but I’ll I’ve managed so far is some rosemary. Has anyone tried anything? What works best? What’s really really easy? I love leeks – are they easy? Totally clueless 🙂
6. Getting out to this wild wild place. Once again I felt really really lucky to live where I do. Although – it’s a choice isn’t it – I chose this spot for its northerness and it’s peace and quiet so I’m going to pat myself on the back a bit. This beautiful valley is a short drive from our house, and once we got there, through fields and green valleys, mountain road and open moorland, we couldn’t hear a thing but the wind and our footsteps. And our voices, as we were gabbling away most of the time, talking nonsense which is my absolute most favouritest way of spending a morning. We walked and walked and walked and puffed our way up the steep sides of this beautiful valley to this wonderful view, with just hills and moorland as far as the eye can see.
What’s made you happy this week? Anyone tried growing any vegetables? Ideas gratefully received!!