What a strange end of the week this has been. When the storms first hit I found them quite exciting. Driving through the rain with the wipers on full and arriving home to hear the wind howling round the house felt nostalgic and made me thankful for my lovely calm, warm home.
Now with flood warnings hitting the area and people evacuated from their homes, it’s just a reminder that we’re still, after all these ages of civilization, at the mercy of the power of wind and rain. Just little dots moving around this huge space.
Here’s 10 things that have made me smile this week:
1. Autumn, when the leaves were still dry and crinkly. It’s been so good this year hasn’t it?
2. That wash of sound as the winds move the leaves and branches of large trees. That’s a really nostalgic one for me – I can’t remember being particularly near huge trees when I was growing up in the Lakes, but maybe it’s just hearing natural sounds that reminds me of being a child. I think you notice more of that when you’re a child. You haven’t really got much else to think about, and living in the moment comes naturally.
3. Feeling new pyjamas against my skin when I climbed into bed yesterday evening. Isn’t that the best? New pjs + new sheets is even better.
4. Remembering that I had a portion of sausage and bean casserole in the freezer when I was on my own on Saturday night and it was too rainy to go out and buy food.
5. Wearing thick socks in bed, and then taking them off in the morning and feeling the sheets with my bare feet again.
6. When I escaped up onto the moors in my lunch break and the only sound I could hear was the wind and the grouse. Bliss.
7. Having all of my family together for a slap up meal last Sunday.
8. Feeling my body getting leaner and stronger (but not as lean and strong as the lady in the video – yet) with Pilates.
9. Prosecco and a girlie gossip on Friday night. Nothing better in winter when the prosecco’s really cold and the pub’s really warm 🙂
10. Swimming; after about 15 minutes, when I got into a rhythm and felt like I could go on for ages.
What has made you smile this week?