Relaxing day today. I’m listening to a howling storm outside, and I’m snugly and smugly inside, listening to music and researching recipes. This time, I thought I’d share my burger recipe. Not sure it’s a recipe really – since it’s just mince and softened onions – but I often forget how easy and yummy it is. I make burgers at least once a week, with chicken breasts, beans, sausage meat – or today – beef. I pile on the salad too – which I love, especially with super duper quality olive oil. The recipe makes 4 (as do most of my recipes). There’s just two of us, but I almost always cook this way as then I have another portion each for the following day, or for later in the week.
450g minced beef (15% fat)
1 onion, chopped and softened in olive oil for about 20 minutes, then cooled
lots of pepper
4 good quality buns – fairly soft, for maximum eating pleasure
salad – whatever you fancy
1. Preheat oven if you want to warm up the buns
2. Put all ingredients into a bowl and squish and squelch it up with your hands
3. Shape into 4 patties and cool these in the fridge for 1/2 hour if you have time
4. Put buns in the oven to warm through
4. Fry in olive oil on a medium heat for 5 minutes on each side (adjust according to how blue / black you like your burgers)
5. Cut burger buns in half, insert burger, some salad and then slather on copious amounts of tomato ketchup. I suppose you don’t have to….
6. Enjoy with a big pile of salad, dressed simply with olive oil